9.12.20

Christmas mocktails

I'm not a big drinker, but I do enjoy a cocktail or 5. Being preggers, and with Christmas coming up, I wanted to make some easy, tasty drinks I could whip up to get into the festive spirit and join in with the drinking fun. Here are 3 super simple ones that I made and enjoyed.

Non-Alcoholic mulled wine 



This was so easy to make! It definitely tasted like mulled wine, and made the kitchen smell real festive. It did lack that certain depth, which some might say was the tasty tasty alcohol, but nonetheless it was a great substitute and perfect accompaniment to a mince pie. I kept mine on the hob and just heated it up in batches throughout the week, but it would also be good to share with family and friends (when Covid allows!)

Ingredients (serves 4-5)

  • Bottle of non-alcoholic red wine (I used this one from Tesco)
  • 2 or 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 teaspoon mulled wine spice or regular allspice
  • Orange slices from 1/2 orange
  • A thumb sized piece of ginger, grated or chopped

Method

  1. Pour wine into a medium saucepan
  2. Add rest of ingredients 
  3. Simmer until hot but just before boiling
  4. Drink! 



Hot chocolate with Irish cream (aka non alcoholic Bailey's)

Non- alcoholic Baileys is, again, ridiculously easy to make and combined with hot chocolate is a deliciously creamy, indulgent beverage perfect to treat yourself to of a December evening. Why not combine with decorating the tree or a Christmas film. Just not The Holiday, please. 

Ingredients (serves 1)

For the Irish cream
  • 50ml Double cream 
  • 15ml (three tablespoons) Evaporated milk 
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the hot choc
  • One tablespoon of powdered hot choc/hot choc flakes (I used Mrs Potts which I got from my advent calendar, and tastes divine)
  • 1 or 2 squares of dark choc 
  • 1/2 mug Milk (I used oat as I'm not a huge fan of cow's milk)

Method 

  1. First make the Irish cream by combining all ingredients in a jam jar and shaking. Measure half of a mug's worth and then tip into a small saucepan
  2. Measure another half mug's worth of milk and add to Irish cream to heat the two gently together (try not to boil)
  3. Place powdered hot choc in same mug and add square/s of choc. 
  4. Once milk mixture is hot, pour into the mug over the chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts. 
NB: You could deffo make this with just the non-alcoholic baileys, hot choc flakes and chocolate squares. It would be very rich, but also very delicious. 




Pear, ginger and rosemary spritz (serves 1)



This is adapted from this Guardian recipe. I will be making these for me and my mum (a fellow non-drinker) on Christmas day. 

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon honey (optional - depends how sweet you like things)
  • 1 shot glass of rosemary syrup (it is so easy to make. If you can't be arsed, just use the rosemary but I think the syrup makes it more cocktail-y)
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
  • 200ml pear juice (I used this one and it is lush)
  • Ginger ale to top
Method
  1. Chuck it all in jam jar, or cocktail shaker if you have one. 
  2. Stir with a spoon until the honey dissolves, if using. 
  3. Shake it all up real hard. 
  4. Pour into your best glass over some ice, if you like (I don't like my drinks too cold personally).
  5. Top with as much ginger ale as you like. Garnish with a spring of rosemary, feel fancy. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS