21.6.20

Black Lives Matter

image by Clay Banks from Unsplash
I am swapping my May monthly round up to talk about the Black Lives Matter movement. I have always, like many other people, considered myself non-racist. However, it's only been recently that I have been shown that being passively anti-racist is not enough. I need to be actively anti-racist; educate, donate, have discussions. Diversify my social media feed more. So that is what I have been doing. And you should too.

I found this guide to be helpful in listing tangible ways to help and action to take, both big and small.

I have a long list of content I want to read, listen to and watch. Here is a list of things of things I can personally recommend. These are illuminating, devastating, funny, moving, interesting, entertaining; sometimes all of the above.

To watch

  • Mo Gilligan live (Netflix) 
I love comedian Mo Gilligan's Instagram, and this live show cracked me UP. 
  • When They See Us (Netflix)
This 4 part Netflix series is the story of the Central Park Five, a group of black kids who were wrongfully convicted of murder. It is heartbreaking but so powerful, especially the last episode. The acting from Jharrel Jerome especially is incredible. 
  • Beyonce: Live at Coachella (Netflix)
This is a joyful thing to watch. 
  • Boyz N The Hood (Netflix)
This film has some great explanations of systemic racism, poverty, police brutality shown through the life of Tre, a young black male in the 1990s trying to navigate living in LA following the 1992 riots. 
The story of a Brownie troop in America who are also black activists. 
  • Menace to Society (Rent on Amazon Prime)
Another 90s film set in LA which explores similar themes as Boyz N The Hood, but takes a bleaker, more violent stance to drum the points home. 
  • Do the Right Thing (Rent on Amazon Prime)
This Spike Lee film explores racial tensions in NYC during a swelteringly hot day - it's impactful but witty, plus the colours and cinematography are very pleasing. 
  • Styling Hollywood (Netflix)
This show follows a black gay couple, Jason (stylist) and Adair (interior designer) and they are both so compelling and likeable. And hilaire. Hoping for a second series please! 

To read 

  • The Fruit of the Lemon Andrea Levy
  • Americanah Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Purple Hibiscus Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • That Thing Around Your Neck Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Interpreter of Maladies Jhumpa Lahiri 
  • The Namesake Jhumpa Lahiri
  • My Sister the Serial Killer Oyinkan Braithwaite
  • Black Boy Richard Wright
  • Queenie Candice Carty Williams
  • The Hate u Give Angie Thomas
  • The Longest Memory Fred D'Aguiar

To listen to


Black Lives Matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS