1.7.20

Notes from June 2020





I've decided to change the format of these posts, as they were getting a bit brain dump-y.

Instead of just listing everything I've done, I'm going to write about 7 things I loved across all the categories I used to cover - reading, listening, watching, buying, eating, enjoying on Instagram and so on and so forth, and then some links. Might include something I didn't enjoy as well just for balance.

Last month we moved house! We've managed to get quite a bit done in a short amount of time - painting the hallway and the upstairs, getting the carpets and oven cleaned, ordering furniture, but I'm still getting used to it all. Exciting though! 

Anyway, here are some things I have enjoyed of late.

1. Alexa Chung's YouTube series about Met Gala. 

I look forward to the parade of looks that is the Met Gala so I let out a sad sigh when it was cancelled this year. Luckily, good old Alexa Chung interviewed some designers about the fun Met Gala times they have had in the past and it almost made up for the usual spectacle. 

2. Normal People

I'm only human okay? But srsly, this was a whole emotional punch in the face wasn't it. It's weird, I loved it but at the same time it pained me to watch it. Still wonderful though. And please can there NOT be a second series. Some things just need to exist as they are. 

3. Girlguiding Book

I am the biggest GirlGuiding nerd going and I recently read a book called 'How the Girl Guides won the war', which put the whole lockdown thing in perspective for sure. The bravery, capability and willingness to help from these girls (some as young as 10) is admirable. Brought a tear to my eye. 


4. Finding out about Babysitter's Club on Netflix

I found out there is going to be a Babysitter's Club series on Netflix and my tiny heart sung with joy. Watch the teaser trailer here if you know what's good for you. 


5. "Finishing a book is proof that we aren’t stuck in time – we still have the capacity to begin things, to finish things, to make use of this time in small but comforting ways" 

This is a quote from one of Alice Catherine's recent blog posts. It resonated with me a lot.


6. Pic & Mix

Online pic and mix is a wonderful invention at all times, but particularly when they have stopped selling it in shops because of old auntie 'Rona.  When it's 100% vegan it is even better. This is the one I ordered and I can particularly recommend the foamy ovals. Also the fudge - my gosh. 


7. Anti-Racism Daily

This is a newsletter that sends out daily information about the Black Lives Matter movement, and how we can continue the anti-racism work. So far I have learned what defunding the police actually means, why Black people are more affected by Coronavirus and why facial recognition technology is used to match Black people to crimes but is a highly flawed system. I am so grateful for the amount of research and work that goes into this newsletter FOR FREE (although you can donate or subscribe on Patreon). I would highly recommend subscribing. 

Links of note

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS